The Amazon Echo Show 5 (2nd Gen) is not a huge upgrade over the original, but it is a compact, capable smart display with a built-in camera and Alexa.
This article is updated for the Australian market regularly to include price changes and product updates.
Amazon Echo Show 5 (2nd Gen): $59 at Amazon.com.au →
Amazon’s smallest smart display gets a minor refresh, plus a Kids Edition
The Amazon Echo Show 5 (2nd Gen) is nice, compact, and powerful, just like its popular predecessor. However, it has entered a more saturated smart clock market with higher competition.
Currently, Echo Show 5 competes with the Google Nest Hub (2nd gen), its in-brand alternative, and one of the best smart home devices, the Amazon Echo Dot with clock. Although, the new Echo Show 5 is cheaper than Google’s latest smart display. Moreover, unlike the clocked Echo Dot, has a real screen, but it can’t track sleep and doesn’t have a 3.5mm audio output.
The Amazon Echo Show 5 is available now in three colors: Charcoal, Glacier White, and Deep Sea Blue.
PRO: Smart Home Features
- If you’re interested in smart home features, the Echo Show 5 is a better choice than the Amazon tablet. You can access the best Alexa skills using either your device’s display or microphone. The former method lets you see the best Alexa-compatible devices in your home in one combined interface.
For example, you can turn on your Philips Hue lights with just a few taps.
- Amazon Sidewalk – Sidewalk is a Wi-Fi sharing protocol that allows things like Key Finder to connect to the cloud via Amazon devices over low-power, long-distance networks.
- Alexa Guard – Amazon’s Assistant notifies you when the display’s microphone detects a smoke detector or breaking glass. It’s not as comprehensive as the best DIY home security systems, but it’s a more affordable alternative.
PRO: Good audio quality & kids privacy
- Good audio quality for its size – A single 4-watt speaker doesn’t make the Show 5 one of the best Alexa speakers, but it does provide acceptable audio. Much like the Echo Dot sounds, the Show 5 is great for listening to the morning news or playing environmental sounds to help you fall asleep.
- Kids Edition has good privacy and warranty options. If you read our roundup of the best baby monitor, you’ll see why security more important than ever.
CON: No 3.5-mm audio jack
- The 3.5mm audio output previous models had, has been removed.
CON: Limited camera quality & not enough upgrades
- Don’t expect a device as small as the Echo Show 5 to appreciate camera quality and video calling options – It features a 2MP camera in comparison the the previous model which featured a 1MP camera.
- No significant upgrades from previous version – Camera quality for example is only updated by 1 MP from the previous model, while Amazon’s latest model features a 13 MP camera.
Where to buy the Amazon Echo Show 5 (2nd Gen) in Australia
Among Amazon’s smart displays, the Amazon Echo Show 5 (2nd Gen) is not my favorite. For a few bucks more, you can get a smart display with more features. On the other hand, for a few bucks less, you can get one of the best smart speakers that doubles as a bedside clock.
But if you’re looking for a screen that saves space on your nightstand and helps you navigate your smart home, no other display offers the same balance of size and features as the Echo Show 5.
Although, the kids Edition has a stronger selling point and offers a stationary Amazon Fire tablet alternative that does not require constant charging. And it’s guaranteed.
BEST VALUE LINK
Please use the above link if you intend to make a purchase. You’ll get the lowest price, and help support our Australia-based staff of writers, editors, and photographers.
If you enjoyed reading our Amazon Echo Show 5 (2nd Gen) review, please consider sharing our content on your preferred social media platforms. TechBest provides the latest gadget reviews, deals, and news from our Australia editorial desk.