Despite being a minor update to the 6 Series, improvements to the 7th gen bring an already great smartwatch to read and reply to texts, see the time when your wrist is down, track outdoor activities and monitor your sleep. It’s not for everyone.
This article is updated for the Australian market regularly to include price changes and product updates.
Apple Watch Series 7: $839 at Amazon.com.au →
A bigger screen makes the best smartwatch even better
The Apple Watch Series 7 offers all the health, safety and lifestyle features of its acclaimed predecessor, but with a larger, easier-to-read display, improved dust and break resistance, and a redesigned charging system which shortens the time it takes to get charged.
- Larger display than previous models – The Series 7 has a slightly larger body than the other models and has very narrow bezels, giving you a lot more screen space.
At just 1.7mm wide, the bezel is 40% thinner than the previous model, and 60% thinner than the Series 3.
The 41mm model offers a resolution of 420 x 352 pixels whereas the 45mm model offers a resolution of 484 x 396 pixels respectively. Overall, the Series 7 offers 20% more screen area than the Series 6 and 50% more than the Series 3.
The always-on OLED Retina display has a maximum brightness of 1,000 nits even when active, making it easy for you to read in both indoors and outdoors scenarios.
- Same Battery Life, But Charges Faster – Apple says the Series 7 lasts 18 hours on a single charge, as do the Series 6, Watch SE, and Series 3.
Thanks to the new charging architecture, the Series 7 gets its value right away. New USB-C compatibility allows this watch to charge 33% faster than the Series 6. It charges to 80% from dead in just 45 minutes with the fast charging pack.
PRO: Durability and customisation
- Improve durability – The Apple Watch Series 7 is the first Apple Watch to be IP6X certified and completely dustproof.
- New watch colors, faces, and text sizes – Apple Watch Series 7 comes in Blue Aluminium, Green Aluminium, Midnight Aluminium, Red Aluminium, Starlight Aluminium, Gold Stainless Steel, Gold Stainless Steel, Gold Stainless Steel, Graphite Stainless Steel, Graphite Stainless Steel, Silver Stainless Steel, and Silver Stainless Steel.
Additionally, Series 7 gives you two additional unique watch face options. Both options highlight the benefits of a larger display. Contour and Modular duo.
Apple added 3 extra text sized for a total of 9 sizes to choose from.
CON: Not enough updates and compatibility limitations
- No major feature updates from last generation.
- One-day battery life remains the same.
- Only compatible with iPhone.
CON: No neutral colour options
- No neutral black or silver aluminium colour options.
Where to buy the Apple Watch Series 7 in Australia
The Apple Watch Series 7 is a great smartwatch, but you unfortunately need an iPhone to use it. The feature set, interface, and overall design are far superior to any alternative.
That said, if you already own a Series 6, there’s not much that warrants an upgrade. Stronger glass and a bigger screen are welcome, but they’re no reason to upgrade. If you’re stuck with a Series 3, or have never owned an Apple Watch, and want the full experience , this should be an excellent option.
BEST VALUE LINK
Please use the above link if you intend to make a purchase. You’ll get the lowest price, and help support our Australia-based staff of writers, editors, and photographers.
If you enjoyed reading our Apple Watch Series 7 review, please consider sharing our content on your preferred social media platforms. TechBest provides the latest gadget reviews, deals, and news from our Australia editorial desk.