Wi-Fi 6 can perform faster and better than the Wi-Fi 5 we are used to, especially in congested network environments. Amazon’s Fire TV Stick 4K Max is the first media streamer under $100 featuring Wi-Fi 6. (It’s also featured in the more expensive Apple TV 4K.)
This article is updated for the Australian market regularly to include price changes and product updates.
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max: $49. at Amazon.com.au →
Good upgrades for just $10 more.
The $49 Fire TV Stick 4K Max is the same as the Fire TV Stick 4K, but with a Wi-Fi 6 radio and a slightly faster processor. Just $10 extra seems like a pretty good deal, but 4K video is only marginally improved by bandwidth, and Wi-Fi 5 already surpasses it. Thus, if you don’t have a fast internet connection or optimal WiFi conditions, the standard Fire TV Stick 4K is your best bet.
PRO: New and refined interface
- Every app you need – The recently altered Fire TV interface is cleaner than ever, divided into sections. Firstly, home has recommended apps and content. Secondly, search is where to find, and Live is home to the best alternative cable TV apps like Hulu and YouTube TV. To get the most out of your operating system, check out our setup and mastery guides to learn how to use your Fire Stick.
- Fast performance – New quad-core 1.8GHz MT8696 processor and 750MHz GPU (upgraded from Fire TV Stick’s quad-core 1.7GHz processor and 650MHz GPU). Apps load in around 9 seconds from a restart phase. Netflix can load in as fast as 2 seconds.
- Excellent picture and sound – Supports HDR10, HDR10+, rich images with Dolby Vision, immersive sound with Dolby Atmos, 7.1 surround sound, 2-channel stereo, and up to 5.1 over HDMI audio passthrough.
- WiFi 6.
CON: Too pushy
- Interface is stuffed with Amazon and ads.
- Voice-search doesn’t always work right
- No Apple AirPlay or Google Cast
Where to buy the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max in Australia
If you’ve been considering the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max, you probably know that it’s more than just a streaming device, it’s a portal to the Amazon ecosystem.
But are all the ads and constant push into the Amazon ecosystem worth it? Or are alternatives better?
As this Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max review demonstrates, the new Fire Stick’s performance improvements are minor to significant. But if you appreciate everything about the Fire TV Stick but wish it was a little faster? It’s time to push your streaming to the Max.
BEST VALUE LINK
Please use the above link if you intend to make a purchase. You’ll get the lowest price, and help support our Australia-based staff of writers, editors, and photographers.
If you enjoyed reading our Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max review, please consider sharing our content on your preferred social media platforms. TechBest provides the latest gadget reviews, deals, and news from our Australia editorial desk.