In the world of headphones, only a handful of companies have released products worth looking at and Sony is one of the most famous. Today we’re reviewing the latest update to the company’s flagship Active Noise Canceling (ANC) headphones. Sony WH-1000XM5. Completely redesigned, this is one of the best ANC headphones out there, but they are expensive.
This article is updated for the Australian market regularly to include price changes and product updates.
Sony WH-1000XM5: $548 at Amazon.com.au →
Similar features but some upgrade
Available in black or silver, the Sony WH-1000XM5’s over-ear construction is sleek and attractive, with a leatherette headband that matches the ear cups in terms of color and matte finish. The cup folds flat and fits easily into the included zippered carrying case. The over-ear fit is extremely comfortable, even during long listening sessions. The only downside is the higher price point compared to previous models some consumers might not like.
PRO: High Quality
- Noise Cancellation Performance – The WH-1000XM5’s eight microphone array provides powerful, state-of-the-art adaptive noise cancellation. Sit next to a fan, turn your head slightly, and the microphone blocks the noise.
- Audio Quality – Hugely musical, and entertaining sound. More detailed than the WH-1000XM4. Excellent sense of rhythm.
- Automatic noise-cancelling optimisation for the first time
- The WH-1000XM5 can last for up to 30 hours with Bluetooth and noise-cancellation on, or 40 hours with Bluetooth and noise-cancellation off. With a ten-minute charge, they can last for five extra hours of playback.
- More expensive than the previous model (WH-1000XM4) at launch. Some rivals offer high quality at lower prices.
CON: Feels less premium than previous models
- The plastics used are nice to touch, but the previous model feels a bit more premium.
Where to buy the Sony WH-1000XM5 in Australia
It can be difficult for manufacturers to consistently improve the sound performance of their products from generation to generation. But that’s exactly what Sony has achieved with the WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones; and not only that, but while doing a major redesign. Sony’s XM5 headphones may feel a little less premium than older models, but it’s a big leap in sound quality over the previous generation which will force rivals to try harder.
Premium quality / Premium price – If you are looking for high quality noise-cancellation headphones, and price is not a problem, you should consider buying the Sony WH-1000XM5.
BEST VALUE LINK
Please use the above link if you intend to make a purchase. You’ll get the lowest price, and help support our Australia-based staff of writers, editors, and photographers.
If you enjoyed reading our Sony WH-1000XM5 review, please consider sharing our content on your preferred social media platforms. TechBest provides the latest gadget reviews, deals, and news from our Australia editorial desk.